We are entering into the final stages of the 2021 season, and it has been a wonderful experience. While it has been a joy to watch the sport all season long, this is the time of year when it really matters. The energy and anticipation is almost overwhelming for soccer fans such as ourselves. The district pairings have been released by the NSAA, and the process of establishing a state field is underway. Nebraska Soccer Talk gives our thoughts and analysis on the district/sub-district match-ups.
|#1 Lincoln Southwest|
|#2 Lincoln High|
|#3 Papillion-La Vista South|
|#4 Omaha Benson|
|#5 Lincoln North Star|
- Entering as the only undefeated team, Lincoln Southwest has state title capabilities and aspirations. They are the favorite in this field and have plenty of talent to justify the #1 seed.
- Lincoln High and Papillion-La Vista South are dangerous middle seeds that could surprise many after they play one another. PLS has been up and down this season but are very good when clicking. A few complete games for this squad and they will find themselves at Morrison.
- I like Lincoln High to reach the final game in this district where they will presumably play Lincoln Southwest. There, the Links are certain to put up a fight as they have done all season versus good competition.
|#1 Omaha South|
|#2 Millard North|
|#3 Elkhorn South|
|#4 Lincoln Northeast|
|#5 Bellevue East|
- It is expected that Omaha South will make a finals appearance in district A-2. Anything else would be a huge shock to the Nebraska soccer landscape. South is gaining a reputation as a second half team. Teams tend to keep it close during the first half, but eventually South’s talent takes over when it matters.
- Its a toss up between Elkhorn South and Millard North. Elkhorn South has experienced injury problems throughout the season, but if they are healthy, this could be a very capable team.
- Millard North has had moments of brilliance, most notably against Gretna during the Metro Tournament. The Mustangs have defeated top teams before so they are not to be overlooked. A consistent level of play is the key here. Every minute will matter versus Elkhorn South and potentially Omaha South.
|#2 Omaha Bryan|
|#3 Bellevue West|
|#5 Omaha North|
- Fremont should win the play-in game versus Omaha North, from there the Tigers have a huge challenge with #1 seed Gretna.
- Gretna has played fantastic soccer all year with multiple players stepping up in key moments. The Dragons should advance to state IF they play to their ability.
- Omaha Bryan will be the biggest challenger and threat to Gretna. They do lack a showcase win this season, but this is an opportunity to earn their first. There is talent on the roster.
|#1 Creighton Prep|
|#2 Grand Island|
|#3 Omaha Northwest|
- This district will have a lot of our attention due to the presence of two top 10 teams. Creighton Prep and Grand Island will be an exceptional match-up if they both advance to that game.
- Creighton Prep has earned that #1 seed. They have demonstrated themselves to be a top quality side versus Omaha South and others.
- Grand Island’s state title hopes are legitimate even with presence of Prep.The Islanders have won eight of their last ten games, playing very well throughout that stretch.
- Omaha Northwest is a dangerous three seed that Grand Island cannot overlook in that first game. Northwest was momentarily inside the Top 10 and have lingered in that 11-14 range all season.
|#1 Millard South|
|#3 Omaha Burke|
|#4 Omaha Central|
- This one will be fun as multiple matches could go either way. There is no clear cut overwhelming favorite in this district.
- Millard South and Kearney have played challenging schedules this spring. Theoretically, that should benefit them now as the urgency gets turned up.
- The Patriots garnered more and more respect as the season went along. They were a pleasant surprise to many, including us.
|#1 Lincoln East|
|#2 Millard West|
|#3 Papillion-La Vista|
|#4 North Platte|
- Lincoln East has done enough to earn top seeding, but they are still searching for a breakthrough win. They have been so close to reaching their full potential, which programs are built on big wins. A-6 will be an opportunity to gain momentum before playing top tier teams.
- North Platte and Lincoln East faced each other on April 23rd. On that day, North Platte came away with the victory, what will be the result this time? Do not overlook the first round games.
- Millard West and Papillion-La Vista will be a great game to watch for all supporters. West probably has the edge, but not by much. This game could go either way when looking at the two squads.
|#1 Lincoln Southeast|
|#2 Omaha Westside|
|#3 Lincoln Pius X|
- What a year for Lincoln, three teams from the city are #1 seeds in district play. The level of play within the city has greatly increased in recent years from top to bottom.
- Norfolk’s defensive capabilities give them hope in this district. If they are able to discover an attacking prowess, they have a shot to steal a game or two. They pushed Lincoln Southeast, Grand Island, and Lincoln East to the edge this season.
- At the beginning of the season, we gave a lot of attention to Lincoln Southeast. We called for lofty goals and thus far they have answered.
- Omaha Westside has the best situation of any two seed in Class A boys. Win two and you’re in.
Thank you for reading and being a part of our new community. A like, share, comment or recommendation of content would be greatly appreciated. In order to financially support our efforts, sponsorship/partnership opportunities have become available. Sponsors will receive vast exposure to the Nebraska soccer community through different media avenues. The sponsorship process is easy and reasonable.
Contact us on our website or email @ email@example.com.
Connect with us on Twitter, Instagram, or listen to our podcast.